Most are a la Stacy, but some are from family. I'll try to give credit where credit is due.
Safety
1) How fast do you have to run to escape a bear? Faster than the slowest person in your group. ~ Kelly Johnson, BIL, is who first told me this saying.
In other words, make yourself the least likely target in a group of tourists. Don't fumble around with a map and look disoriented. Leave flashy jewelry at home. Don't bring the latest electronics unless you want someone to try and take it from you.
2) There's no shame in running.
3) Don't go anywhere I can't come and bail you out. ~ Kelly Johnson, BIL, specifically when I was traveling with one of his daughters.
4) Do not let her out of your sight. ~ Alyssa Johnson, sister, concerning my older niece, Susan.
Unfortunately I became ill from medicine while in Italy, and as a result of this promise, Susan had to stay in the hotel room with me rather than do a Gray Line tour of the city. However, she was a super trooper and didn't complain.
Preparedness (or lack there of)
1) We're not traveling to a third world country. And, even there you can find a cold Coke.
There's no need to get in a twist about remembering everything. Sometimes it's fun to shop where you travel. And, yes, I found and bought two cold Coca Colas in the middle of the bushvelde of Zimbabwe.
Pack light
1) Only pack what you can carry. I won't be able to help you with your stuff.
This object lesson was taught to me by my Dad when we went to London. He was zipping down the uneven sidewalks while I was struggling as my luggage's wheels got stuck in the crevices. I, in turn, told this to my nieces before their "anywhere you want to go 18th birthday" trips.
2) No, thanks. I carry my own stuff.
What I say now. When I was in Vienna, I let one of my friends carry my satchel. Just a few minutes later, I got separated from the group. I was without a passport or money. All I had in my pocket was a metro token. At least I knew I could get back to the hotel. Thankfully they found me fifteen minutes later.
No comments:
Post a Comment