Don't assume it's dangerous in Athens just because you see video on the news
I was in Syntagma Square without even realizing it. There wasn't any yelling. There weren't masses of angry people chanting. It was quiet.
I was enroute to the Changing of the Guard and I looked to my right and saw a big white banner with red letters. That's when I realized WHERE I was... supposedly the hot seat of civil unrest in Athens.
Typically it IS quiet in Syntagma Square. The pensioners and unemployed sit across the street from the Parliament. They put up banners. But, that's it.
What has been happening is that sometimes the anarchists (Andy's phrase) come in, become rowdy/loud, the media captures it and then plays the same footage over and over and over again. The media has created unnecessary alarm about safety and, as a result, tourism is in a slump.
I was as safe in Athens as I would be in any other city with 5M people. There are places you shouldn't be after dark. But then again, I'd offer that there are places in LA, NYC and San Francisco that I wouldn't stroll through at night either. To be honest there are some places I avoid during the day in LA.
In retrospect, I'm thankful it was peaceful during my visit and I really enjoyed my stay in Greece.
Don't assume it's not dangerous
Check it out. I understand the next two weeks will be critical. There is talk that Greeks are removing their funds from the banks. Will Turkey leave the EU? Will it spur economic growth once the EU dictates are removed? Can they recover without a reliable tax base? What will happen during the next vote?
Don't expect Greeks to bargain like the Turks.
Two different cultures. Two different approaches to sales. However, I believe this story underscores the economic crisis. I walked into a store Sunday afternoon and asked the price of an item. The lady showed me the sticker and said I could have it for half the amount. Done!
I was in Syntagma Square without even realizing it. There wasn't any yelling. There weren't masses of angry people chanting. It was quiet.
I was enroute to the Changing of the Guard and I looked to my right and saw a big white banner with red letters. That's when I realized WHERE I was... supposedly the hot seat of civil unrest in Athens.
Typically it IS quiet in Syntagma Square. The pensioners and unemployed sit across the street from the Parliament. They put up banners. But, that's it.
What has been happening is that sometimes the anarchists (Andy's phrase) come in, become rowdy/loud, the media captures it and then plays the same footage over and over and over again. The media has created unnecessary alarm about safety and, as a result, tourism is in a slump.
I was as safe in Athens as I would be in any other city with 5M people. There are places you shouldn't be after dark. But then again, I'd offer that there are places in LA, NYC and San Francisco that I wouldn't stroll through at night either. To be honest there are some places I avoid during the day in LA.
In retrospect, I'm thankful it was peaceful during my visit and I really enjoyed my stay in Greece.
Don't assume it's not dangerous
Check it out. I understand the next two weeks will be critical. There is talk that Greeks are removing their funds from the banks. Will Turkey leave the EU? Will it spur economic growth once the EU dictates are removed? Can they recover without a reliable tax base? What will happen during the next vote?
Don't expect Greeks to bargain like the Turks.
Two different cultures. Two different approaches to sales. However, I believe this story underscores the economic crisis. I walked into a store Sunday afternoon and asked the price of an item. The lady showed me the sticker and said I could have it for half the amount. Done!
No comments:
Post a Comment