Sunday, May 11, 2014

29. Antioch of Syria: Part II

St. Peter's Church
Well our adventures weren't over. Ferrell knew that St. Peter's Church was closed for renovations. But he thought we could at least drive up to the site to get exterior pictures and a nice view of the city across the river. Foiled again. A barricade prevented us from getting close.
I think this is it. St. Peter's Church.
Palladium Antakya Mall
We arrived back at the hotel about 4:30. I went out to explore and found a Magnum bar! Mission #1 accomplished. That one was for Jane, Jessica, etc.
For all my traveling friends. This one's for you!
I went to the mall across the Orontes River called Palladium Antakya. Saw a four-storied slide, a clown handing out red carnations, and tons of western (European and American) styles. Orhan says the influx of Syrians has brought Western styles to this city.
A Western-flavored mall. I was amazed.
I saw LC Waikiki in several of the larger Turkish cities.
Four-storied  and three-storied slides. Yes, I was tempted.
Handing out flowers for Mothers' Day
Dinner and Dessert
We ate on the balcony and watched people double park to get ice cream across the street. Edward and Trena confirmed it was delicious. Also I discovered that I know Trena's brother and sister-in-law from Florida College. Small world.
Dinner: mushroom soup, cucumber and tomato salad, boiled beef and a fruit salad. Fruit salad? For dessert? That can only mean one thing ...
Ed, Orhan & Trena in the almost alfresco balcony at the Attaturk Caddesi Hotel.
Cucumber and tomato salad served with balsamic vinegar and oil.
Boiled beef, rice and French fries
... we need REAL dessert. So, Sharon and I popped over to the "in" ice cream place. I had a small single scoop of chocolate. I think it was a kiddie cone. Only 50 cents. What a deal and tasty too!

We leave tomorrow. Bags out at 7:30. On the docket Adana.

3 comments:

  1. I've loved reading about your trip! I was a few days behind in reading, but now I'm caught up. I'm learning so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete