Sunday, July 13, 2014

20. Masters & Montaditos

Services
We successfully found the Iglesia de Cristo in Madrid. We were there for the bible class and service. The Christians were very warm and welcoming. They tried to converse with us although our grasp of Spanish is very limited. The preacher spoke with us in English. That was nice. Andrea is understanding quite a bit of Spanish. It's amazing how immersion accelerates learning.

Demontaditos
Ate tapa sandwiches (montaditos) for lunch at Demontaditos. It's very popular with the younger crowd (teens, twenties). I had roast beef + fried onions as well as the hot dog w/onions & mustard. We both had 3 small profiteroles with whipped cream and chocolate drizzled on top for dessert. Maybe I can convince Andrea to have one more churros and chocolate for the road tonight :)
Andrea digs in. The montaditos were yummy!
PROFITEROLES!
Puerta del Sol (Sun Gate)
It's a happening place. People watch. Shop. See and be seen. The gate was probably called after a sun drawn on it. The current semi-oval square was created in the 19th century.

Casa de Correos (built in 1768) was the city's main post office.
The Puerta del Sol is a pedestrian area.
King Carlos III. George Washington. Same person?
Most famous symbol of Madrid "El Oso y El Madroño"
Andrea in the center of the Sun. Best metro access on the left - it has escalators.
Turner and the Masters
Off to the Prado. While we were traipsing through Spain and Portugal the new "Turner and the Masters" exhibition opened. I saw 2 Rembrandt’s that I hadn’t seen before (one of a wind mill and another of a girl leaning through a window). I love Rembrandt. Also there were 2 spectacular Watteaus. My favorite Turner was one of a storm that he was caught in. I love his sunrise/sunset color palette the best.
People lining up for a free Sunday afternoon at the Prado.
Andrea and I were excited to see Turner's works.
Another shot of Velazquez
Prado
Detail of Turner painting (taken outside, not in the exhibition).
Retiro Gardens
We walked through the gardens a little ways. However, it was hot so we cut our visit short.
One of the entrances to the Retiro Gardens. Formally a royal possession.
Impressive gateway
Me in the Retiro
Andrea in a tree.
Fountain spitting water


No comments:

Post a Comment